Written by Steven Polge
Download the latest version of, in my opinion, the best Bot around, the Reaper Bot version 0.81 Beta (164k) Full instructions on how to use these Bots are included in the zip file.
Or I've put together a step by step guide to installing and running the Reaper Bots.
Just look at some of it's abilities
- Learns levels as it plays them
- Doors - will fire at secret doors
- When fighting
- Picks the best weapon
- Circles or charges
- Even goes for health if needed
- Will try to avoid combat if low health or ammo is low
- Follows opponents
- around corners
- through doors
- through teleports
- Can telefrag and be telefragged
These guys are good at the default skill level of 1 they will give the average player a good challenge. Only really tip top DM players need apply when they are set to skill 3!
Their artificial intellegence is very realistic. They jump around and strafe left and right when you're trying to nail them. The author designs router software for a living, so it's not surprising that, as they build up a map of the level it doesn't take them long to find the weapons and hunt you down.
Reaper's also don't mind getting wet. When swimming they will avoid drowning, even in combat. Thankfully they won't use the Thunderbolt underwater... unless invincible! These guys get everywhere, I was fragged by one in the secret area that can only be reached by swimming underneath rocks in E1M5 Gloom Keep!
With half a dozen or so running around a DM level it's just like being in a Net game, lots of noise, people round every corner, nowhere safe to rest... but NO LAG!!
Summary of Key commands
These commands can be typed in from the Console or bound to a key for example use bind b 'impulse 205'. Then each time 'b' is pressed another Bots enters the game.
- IMPULSE 205 Adds a Bot
- IMPULSE 208 Adds four Bots
- IMPULSE 211 Remove all Bots
- IMPULSE 210 gives a break down of the current scores, frags, suicides, bots v. bots, human v. bots etc. Bring up the Console to read these stats.
- IMPULSE 212 Toggle for Limited observer mode, you're invisible to the bots.
- IMPULSE 215 Toggle for verbose mode, the Bots tell you what they're doing.
- IMPULSE 222 Shows top three scores, no need to go to the Console.
- IMPULSE 1nn The value of 'nn' sets maximum number of players in a game. Bots will enter and leave the game when the number of human players change. ('nn' must no be greater than 15).
Reading the accompanying text file promises even more features for the preposed V1.0, including...
- Learning AI, with personalities - choosing to camp or snipe based upon previous successes or failures.
- Retreating when low on health or bad weapons
- Being able to look up and down
There is no mention of adding them to the status bar like human players. It would be nice if you are playing against Bots only, to have their scores on the status bar to see how you're doing all the time.
Changing the Bots skins
To use the file
- Create a progs directory inside the Reaper Bots directory
- Extract the player.mdl file to the progs directory
- Run Quake using the Reaper Bots patch
- If you EXEC the Reaper.cfg file
- Press P to enable the Skins support
- If not
- type IMPULSE 202 to enable Skins support
- Add four Bots and they will be different colours.
The Skins support key (P or IMPULSE 202) has three levels
- Normal On
- Skill skins (ie. Skin colour depends on Bot skill level)
The Best way to use the Reaper Bot
This is the best way to simulate a multi-human player frag fest.
- Run Quake using the Reaper Bot patch
- Select DM1 as the start map
- Set a frag limit and/or a time limit
- Start the multiplayer game
- Activate skins support and add the Bots
- Play the map
When the level ends, either by frag count or time, the next DM map will be loaded.
Now the clever bit... the Bots will re-enter the new level at a skill level based upon their performance in the previous map.
So if you do well the Bots skill level increases, but if they beat you up they'll be easier for the next level. The increments are tenths of a skill unit, so the Bots don't adjust too drastically between levels.
The great thing about this mode of play is that the Bots become varied and you'll soon see which levels you're good at. Perfect practise for playing against human opponents!
By the way it's very addictive!